Thursday, May 23, 2013

A Curves Memory Quilt

After I finished the practice piece, I decided to take on a project that had been on the 'back burner' for over a year.    After Curves of Coleman closed, I promised a loyal member that if she would gather up her Curves T-shirts for me, I would make her a T-shirt memory quilt.  She promptly provided the T-shirts last fall before we started the move back to Granbury....so the t-shirts were packed away until March.  I worked on this in spurts:  cut the logos out in large squares, apply stabilizer to the back, cut again in 12 1/2" squares, design placement; then I discovered (or re-discovered) a bolt of purple fabric I bought when Kelly Corder was selling her inventory.  It was perfect for finishing the borders and backing.  I had started working part time in an office in January, plus we were still settling in our new environment, so this was a slow-going project.  I finally got the borders applied and it was time to quilt.  So, it went onto Frenchy.   It took me a couple of day to work up the courage for the quilting phase, but it was successfully finished and ready for binding within 6 hours.  I used a bright green floral print from my extensive stash for the binding.  It made a pretty contrast against the purple.  I sewed the binding onto the front in preparation for hand stitching the binding to the back.   

At this point, I ran into a major obstacle:  a broken hip immediately followed by hip surgery on March 31, 2013.  I was in the hospital from Friday night until Tuesday afternoon.....the following weeks are a bit foggy since I was on heavy pain meds......but I managed to work on the hand stitched binding sometime during that period.  I prepared a label and applied it to the back and it was ready for delivery a couple of weeks before my friend's birthday on May 30, 2013. 




My BFF, Teresa Harrison, drove with me to Coleman so I could deliver the quilt to Carolyn McClellan.  We spent the day visiting many of my Coleman friends, but we made a lunch date with Carolyn; Teresa took our picture with the Curves Quilt.

Happy Birthday Carolyn!

No comments:

Post a Comment