I completed the kaliedoscope "stack & whack" that I started ....mmmm?....2 years ago??? It is hand-pieced and alot of fun putting the 'pinwheels' together. I chose the gold sashing to bring out the yellows in the inspiration fabric. It worked!!! I don't much like the gold, but "que sara sara". By the time I figured out that it was too much, it was too late. So be it. The backing is a gold leaf motif fabric; the machine-quilting is free motion loops & circles in gold thread on Frenchy; the binding is done by machine on Janome; completed in February 2012. The label reads in part.... "Thorp Springs Birds of a Feather; dedicated to Virg & Lora Bird". If you don't know me, then I'll clarify....Virg & Lora Bird are my paternal grandparents, and they lived in Thorp Springs, TX.
I also worked on a modified "Garden Maze" pattern. The pattern calls for a center in the block about 7" square, but the fabric I wanted for focus called for a bigger square, so I drew out my plan on graph paper which resulted in about a 9" square. The lattice is white on white which is difficult for my aging eyes and took some effort on my part to make sure I kept the right side on the right side. This is machine-pieced and machine-quilted with red King Tut thread.....my first experience with a pantograph. I like the pattern, and it was a learning experience; but it took longer due to having to re-align the quilt to make sure the rows were evenly spaced. I did have a number of thread breaks (perhaps due to a faulty needle). Completed with hand binding in March 2012.
I am a member of the local Quilt Guild and last year we started a project where each of us took turns bringing our 'favorite' block and instructing everyone else on completing it. We ended up with 20 blocks. This was a fun experience and resulted in learning some unique methods that I had not tried before like paper piecing, applique, and "Y" seams. I started the project with some pink and maroon fabric in my stash. As time progressed, I discovered that I had quit a bit of coordinating colors in my stash collection. I also added some blocks on my own to make a total of 30 blocks. This is yet to be sashed, so stay tuned.
As a result of the success of our Quilt Guild project described above, I asked my fellow-quilters to each make their 'favorite' block for a local museum fundraiser quilt. They were all most agreeable. So, I purchased an 'inspiration' fabric in blue (our football team is the Blue Cats), as wellas a soft blue for background. I cut the fabric into large swatches, enough for 20 blocks, and passed them out to those who were willing to provide a block. Everyone has blue fabric, so I asked them to just add any blue from their personal stash to complete their favorite pattern. When all were completed, I sashed them together with a navy blue, backed the quilt with a navy blue, and stitched it (free motion loops & circles) on Frenchy in navy blue King Tut thread. Upon completion, we had a photo made. It is now up for raffle at $1 a ticket or 6 for $5. To be awarded during the scheduled art show in May....just in time for Mother's Day. Here is a photo of our guild members and the quilt.
I have a number of UFOs (Un Finished Objects) ready for my attention, as well as several NEW projects that are calling my name. BUT, I plan to stay focused on completing some quilt tops that have been stored for a year or two; plus Trish and I have an extreme 'QBOM' to work on together....when we can schedule it; a promised fundraiser quilt for my son; and on, and on, and on. Hopefully, I'll be reporting back before another 3 months have passed.